Total Pageviews

Saturday, September 24, 2011

Being busy is not the way

I love a Saturday that I can relax on the couch, watch a movie if I feel like it, listen to some inspiring music, make some homemade pesto from my fresh picked basil that I grew myself from a seedling, watch a music video (what's that, you ask), play with my daughter and drink coffee until I have to take a shit and then wished I hadn't drank so much. That is a Saturday that I like, minus the shit, but that's sadly enough, typical.
When there's no running around to do, I am most happy- when I schedule myself batty, not the case.
Why do we often find ourselves doing just that? We cram in as much as possible during the day as if it would be a tragedy if we sat on the couch and just relaxed, as if there's nothing in the world worse than just doing nothing. We fill our children's lives with so-called "enrichment," with insane schedules that even God wouldn't want to attack. We want our kids to be involved, not spared an opportunity. We fill our lives with useless, mindless crap- spending hours on the internet, on FaceBook, making money so that we can spend it on things that don't do anything for us, which ultimately ends in love for materialistic objects, lessening our love for eachother. We go to bars to socialize, to drink ourselves into an escape, and participate in sports out the ying yang. Where does it end? Where do we stop to realize that just sitting around is just as good as being the best, or worst for that matter, goalee in the soccer league? When can we allow ourselves to relax? Why is being popular with others so important to so many people? We as humans feel the need to socialize, and by doing so, somehow, we temporarily escape knowing ourselves and being comfortable alone. I experience this "escape" quite frequently- guilty as charged.
It's not until things start crumbling around me that I realize what I am doing. I will make plans upon plans, denying others of knowing me because I don't know myself. We put up boundaries that limit us by always staying "busy". By spreading ourselves too thin, and allowing distractions that block us from a peaceful existance, we miss the joy that arrives from just being alive and knowing who we are. We miss out on the pure enjoyment of a deeper love for humanity and for ourselves.
So today, I will sit and do nothing, just so that I can be doing something for myself and for the rest of the world. I suggest to everyone to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment